Tuesday 23 December 2014

Winter - Training - Changes - The Year Ahead.........Part 2!!

The year to come………………………

This shall be a busy year, so much happened in 2014 and my life totally changed in the space of a couple of months. It’s still crazy to think that this time last year I had not even competed in my first triathlon and now I’m planning a move to triathlon heaven and working my way through the daily training in order to help me achieve next year’s goals.

So next year I have decided to aim big, if I can achieve the silver medal at the age group worlds with no winter training behind me and no real structure to my diet or training, then just think what I will be able to achieve.

I’m starting 2015 with a trip to Majorca this is mainly a cycling week, a week of racing up hill and learning how to descend. I’ve heard that the pro teams often train out there so have already set myself the challenge to hang onto the back of a group in training! I’ve never been on a cycling training camp but shall be using this as my starting point to build speed. Cycling is where I can make my time in a race so the stronger I can get the bigger the gap will be heading into the run.

I’m then going to dabble in a couple of Duathlons! I think that these will be a great way to get a few races in at the start of the year all for fun, but some more serious than others!

I have entered an event called the 2up, with Paul Clucas as my team mate we are going to be ready to smash it. See this is a strange event not like a normal team! See for the whole race we can be no more that 20m apart so it’s about working together and playing off each other’s strengths. For Paul it’s the fireman’s championships for me I just want to smash it! The other morning was spent looking up the competition to date, what’s their past record like?! Who seems to be the weaker of the two?! Yet when the day comes, I know that we will just go for it, the mix of 2 very competitive people shall come flying through. And push us both on.

Ones which will be a bit more serious? Well I have entered Clumber Park with the aim to qualify for the Duathlon Worlds 2015. Although this is not my main aim for the year, I can see it being an amazing way to end the 2015 and would also help to improve my running and cycling for the triathlons, something that can only ever work in your favour.

So my main goals, well it sounds like a lot and it is really but like I mentioned earlier I’ve decided to aim high for the 2015 season. My main goal for the year is to become both European and World Age Group Champion. Sounds like a big ask, but following last year I feel this is achievable. I was only 2 seconds off the gold medal in Edmonton and I’m already seeing my speed increase though the winter! Although I’m going to have to work hard for it and keep pushing the limits, I believe this is achievable and will give it everything I have got in order to get there. Meaning structured training around work, a good balanced diet and plenty of rest/recovery.

I don’t have all the gear and have a long wish list including helmet, tri shoes, wetsuit, TT bike and heart rate monitor. But what I do have is the grit and determination, the ability to keep pushing myself and to learn from races or training sessions when they don’t quite go to plan.





The European Championships will be taking place on the 10th July (http://www.triathlon.org/events/event/2015_geneva_etu_triathlon_european_championships) and the World Championships on the 18th September (http://chicago.triathlon.org/). Two key dates in my diary, the two dates that my training will be aimed at.

But I won’t just be there and there is a road throughout the year that I will travel along in order
to help me improve my racing and judge where I am against my competitors. Following my initial Dualthlons I plan to enter a local sprint event at the start of the year, help to get rid of the cobwebs! With the move I’m unsure where this will be yet but I’m sure there will be many hilly ones to pick from! This will lead me into the first big race of the year – St Neots Sprint Triathlon. This event is a qualifier for the Worlds 2015 and Europeans 2016 as well as being the British Championships. I’ve already qualified for both the Worlds and Europeans next year due to this year’s results. So the plan here is to test where I am, practice my race plan and go for number 1! My goal is to start my 2015 triathlon season by becoming the Sprint distance age group champion.

I then plan to race in the qualification races for the Europeans and worlds at Sprint distance. The main reason is it will allow me to compare my race to a high standard of competitor leading into the big races. I’m also going to race a couple of standard distance races, as I only started in triathlon last year I am unsure what distance will suit me best, with my bike speed it would suggest standard but there is only one way to find out. So I plan to step outside my comfort zone a few times to help me make my decisions and set my goals for 2016!

On top of the age group competition I have managed to get the required times to be able to enter some elite triathlon races with in the UK. My goal here is to compete in the elite series. The thought of being able to line up alongside women that I look up to is incredible and I will do everything in my power to be as fast as I possibly can. The elite races are slightly different, not only are they faster with the highest level of competition. But they are also draft legal, this means that on the bike section of the course you are allowed to draft the bike in front. I’m use to riding on my own and competition in a time trial style so my plan is to join a cycling club to build up my speed and get use to group riding. I can see these being the most incredible experience.

I have also decided to try my hand at a bit of time trialling, with cycling being my strongest discipline I thought it would be good to see where I am, so finding a good spare weekend to race in June I have decided to enter the tour of Cambridgeshire (http://www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/uci_uwct_TT_Time_Trial.php) a qualifier for the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale – the world governing body for cycle sport) UWCT (UCI World Cycling Tour - the amateur world championships where anyone who has qualified can ride for a world championship jersey. You’ve got to be in it to win it! And play to your strengths, if you don’t put your limits you will never know how far you can go!

As a whole I am well into winter training building up my base ready to sharpen up next year, and still loving the sport. How could you ever get bored with 3 different sports to keep improving upon.

2015 Is going to be a big year for me and I can’t wait to get stuck into it. The challenge is there and accepted and the opportunities are there to be grabbed!

I am looking for companies to promote through my blog and advertising on clothing, tri suit as well on social media. If you interested in supporting me on my 2015 journey please contact me though here. Thank you!!

Back to training!

Onwards and Upwards………………………………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment