Monday 22 December 2014

Winter - Training - Changes - The Year Ahead .......Part 1!!


It’s been a few weeks since I last wrote a blog now and although time seems to have flown by I have no race to write about, although there are still many funny mishaps which have happened along the way! Life seems to have changed so much in the last year, and I continue to try and make every day an adventure and grasp the opportunities.

So training…….!

Swim – Swimming has been awesome since going to the swim for tri (www.swimfortri.co.uk) weekend , I have been in the pool 5 times a week. I learnt a lot over the two days something in which I go into a lot more detail in my last blog, (http://www.stephmottramtriathlete.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/swim-school-weekend-in-loughbrough.html) but as you will be able to see from the video the changes to my stroke in such a short space of time is amazing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRVkw2IW54A

So with a little help from a friend I am now fully equipped with all my toys and a toy bag! I have become the biggest fan of the pull buoy and paddles - always look forward to getting these on!

Some days I get in and feel like I’m swimming through syrup (I wish at least it would taste better!) other times I feel like some sort of malfunctioning robot with limbs everywhere and very mechanical. But I keep pushing though, concentrate on the drills. Then hey presto it slowly starts to come together. Going through the tough sessions is worth it to get to the good ones, the sessions where I feel like I’m gliding through the water and it all starts to feel effortless.

I’m no Michael Phelps and my arms still spin around like a windmill, but even with this my strokes per length are down by 2 and the number of good days is now out weighing the bad! I now actually know what it is I’m working towards and how I should be swimming. Now I actually get in the pool knowing what I’m aiming for, what all the drills help with and where my biggest priorities are to improve efficiency. I make sure I do at least 3 technical sessions a week, as well as the on your own session from swim for tri. I have now started to redo my swimming test to see if there is any improvement. I was able to do a 400m test in 5min 31seconds. If I compare this to where I was in the summer I spent months trying to improve upon my 5min 58seconds with no success, so with this week’s result I feel epic!! It just shows how much focusing on technique and improving efficiency makes the difference. Winter training is paying off; the continuous steady improvement is there!

Bike – My forte! The bike has been split into many parts as the winter has come and the days have got shorter, meaning that me and Carlos have been unable to get out on the road in the evening. Never the less make the most of what you have, we have been hitting 100k+ every Sunday, getting myself lost a few times has led to finding many new hills and spectacular views in the area!

Having worked more 6 day weeks and travelling up to the north recently the turbo has come in very handy recently. At 4 in the morning I stumble out of bed and jump onto Carlos. For the longer slower sessions I have found Lee Evans DVDs great company, although it turns out that no matter how much your head wants to laugh at the jokes my body is just not capable of it! Leading to me panting like some sort of hyena, what must the neighbours think!

Otherwise I have recently discovered sufferfest, these DVDs are amazing. They really hurt and I finish feeling like there is nothing left in the tank. It’s the best start to the day, although I always have to spend time with the foam roller before heading into work!


I’ve also discovered the Watt bike another awesome tool, it was described to me as the cycling version of a rowing machine – so something that is going to cause a whole world of pain, but give very accurate data to work off and make me a stronger? Correct – it does cause a whole world of pain. I am no expert on a watt bike, and I know there is still a lot more to learn about what it can do, but I have started reading up on this and finding watt bike sessions on line I have started planning these in to my weekly training. I can see this becoming a very important part of my training programme initially to help build the base and then as the racing season approaches to gain strength and speed.

So trying something new – in November I took a much needed rest week, and went on a road trip. Here I was introduced to mountain biking! Amazing!! There was such a massive difference between mountain biking and road biking but I was feeling the results by the end of the week – aching all over! The feeling was great being in the middle of the woods, up and down hills. It was very technically challenging and took me a while to build up confidence, yet the rush was brilliant! I only had one real fall – quite impressive if I do say myself! With Paul stood at the bottom of a downhill section saying keep left. I heard nothing; I was concentrating so much on just holding on and trying to get down. So what way did I go?! Right!! Haha I went down with a right crash! It really hurt and knocked my confidence a bit although this didn’t stop me; I kept going and had some very impressive bruises just about everywhere to show for it. I have found a new way of cross training which I love!

Run – So run training started really well, I had managed to build up the distance hitting a 10-13k run once a week and getting 3 runs in every week. Then at a very strange time it all went a bit pete tong! I had taken a week of rest from running to allow my body to recover and as I got back running for the first time I had a pain in my shin. I have had to back off the running to let it heal but I’ve not let this affect me instead I’ve concentrated on swimming, cycling and core/weights work. I am now managing to get back on it through work I now doing some fartlek work – I shall be back to full strength in now time, it’s just about building it back up slowly and ensure I get the strength and conditioning work done so that I’m able to stabilise myself!

Weight and Core - The sessions which you feel you’re not directly training for the race, yet without them the risk of injury massively increases. I’m currently getting in at least 4 sessions a week, then adding on additional core sessions whenever I have a bit of spare time! I have switched my sessions slightly lowering the weights but increasing the repetitions to help increase endurance. I’m also spending a lot of time on the bosu ball. The idea here is to teach my body to stabilise itself while performing different movements. I have been known to do squats in front of the TV of an evening just because I felt like it. I do regularly hit 1000 squats in a session my favourite exercise!


So what about changes……………………?!

Well at the start of 2015 I shall be venturing out of Buckinghamshire, the place in which I have grown up! I have got a new job and will be moving to Yorkshire – the land of hills, cycling (road and mountain) trail running and beautiful scenery. But not just any part of Yorkshire – Hebden Bridge a place where the only way to get out is up a hill! The second I was offered the job I knew it had my name written all over it and that I would be stupid to turn it down. You have to take
the opportunities when they come your way!

So will my training change?! Well I want to make sure that I make the most of my surroundings! The plan is to cycle to work which will be 8 miles of pure hill reps! Then leave work to hit the countryside on either the bike or running. The facilities are brilliant and I have the choice of many different 25m pools within 15mins and with a 50m pool just up the road in Leeds I already to plan to make the most of this! I also plan to join both a triathlon club and cycling club in the north something which I have not really been able to do here, but I believe the additional team spirit and knowledge it will really help to push me forward in the world of triathlon!

I know that I will get lost many a time while out running and cycling in the beginning but I can’t wait, I think this will be the perfect place of me to build upon the training I have done so far, plus if you can do it on a hill in rubbish weather, you can do it on any course in any race conditions.

It’s a massive step into the unknown, but one that I’m very excited about. A start of a new chapter in my life – the perfect way to start 2015 a year which will be full of exploring, training, racing and grabbing opportunities which come my way.

Onwards and Upwards..............................

No comments:

Post a Comment