Sunday 21 September 2014

Big Cow Sprint - European Qualifier September 2014

Arriving in Milton Keynes at the Big Cow event after an early start and hours’ drive to the race venue, I knew my preparation had not been as structured as normal, in fact at points it felt like I had just been trying to push the puzzle pieces in anywhere.
I had only returned from Canada 10 days earlier and having already qualified for the Europeans next year I didn’t have to race, but I could not resist the draw of the competition as others around me entered. Normally walking to a race I would be in my own zone, visualising my race and in all honesty being anti-social. Yet arriving here the excitement from Edmonton came flooding back, and sharing stories with competitors around me seemed to be the theme of the morning.

Walking into transition was strange everything seemed so much smaller, not surprising really but it was another step back into reality. Racking my bike I continued to chat away, I knew I was in a totally different place to normal, I was still buzzing from the weeks before it was as if nothing was going to knock me off my perch.


I had decided that I would try with my shoes already on the bike today so filling them with endless amounts of talcum powder. I attached the elastic bands – yellow of course so Carlos was matching. Looking at them at this point I was visualising how I would do this. I knew that today was the perfect opportunity to practice – what was the worst that could happen?! The mixture of trying a new process and not having my normal structure meant that I totally missed out giving my bike a finial once over something which I would later come to regret!
I put my running shoes down ready on top of my bright towel anything to make recognising my area easier! I knew my feet were going to suffer today; I had been suffering with bad blisters ever since I got home, yet once in the zone of racing I knew I would get through without a second thought.
Getting my wetsuit on I covered myself in Vaseline, something I maybe should not announce to the world but anything to make it easier to get it off though T1 and to prevent Chaffing. A wetsuit rash on the neck is like being 14 again with the endless amount of love bite jokes!

I wondered down to the start feeling very relaxed and listening to the brief for the wave before mine, I felt myself start to slip back into my normal focused self. I was able to see the whole swim course and visualise where it was that I need to go, it seems quite straight forward with only a couple of turns – Great! At this point I was excited and looking forward to being able to push my body to its limits again.
Watching the wave before mine go off I realised just how much a scrum it was so knew it would be important to pick my starting spot well. So getting into the water I swam out about 100m, I wanted to be one of the last back to the start so I could be at the front and pick my line. I’ve only had one other experience of a start like this before and that was at qualifiers – what a disaster!! I was not expecting the mass scrum which you get and found myself goggle less within the first 200m, feeling so disorientated by the end of the swim I went to stand up but my legs were not expecting this and I was straight back down again – SPLASH!! Rolling around on the exit ramp like a fish out of water, great for spectators or you’ve been framed!!
Anyway lessons learnt! I have my new goggles on nice and tight and am aiming for the front, so I don’t end up with my face as a kick bag! I lined myself up with the first buoy and could see where my swim would take me, and the countdown started. 5, 4, 3, 2………. Everyone was already starting to move but never the less we were off.
Another round of fisty cuffs as I tried to get some clear water around me. I have found that even though the beginning strokes are not as good as you would like, leave it behind and look for the next one. My focus is always what I need to do next not what I’ve just done, you can’t change the past but you can improve upon it. Moving around the first buoy was a tight squeeze though once past this the race seemed to spread out. I had not managed to get myself into the lead group amongst the initial scrum but I still had my goggles and was focusing on pushing on with every stroke, being at the front of the second group I could concentrate on me!

Exiting the water and heading into T1, I got my wetsuit off with ease and putting on my helmet I was ready to try getting my shoes on while on the bike. I ran out totally focused and as I crossed the mount line jumped on, and then pause. I took a split second to think about what I needed to do next line both my feet up with the shoes and right foot, left foot..... I had nailed it both feet were in! I was ready to smash the bike; this was my chance to get some distance between me and the rest of the field. The aim was not just to get in front but to overtake as many of the men from the wave in front as possible. The bike was not a bad ride, my legs felt like they were working hard but I was keeping the cadence high. I was just not flying; normally I would feel unstoppable on the bike as if no one has a chance. And after the race I would find out why……… I had ridden the whole course with my front brake on! Lesson learnt! We all make mistakes but I believe as long as you can learn from these and move forward you will become a stronger, faster more knowledgeable person, and long term this will help make me the champion I am driven to become.
On the positive side I had learnt from my dismount in Canada, and coming into transition I composed myself Velcro undone, one foot at a time ….. Smashed it both feet on top of the shoes, I can see the dismount line and bring my leg over the saddle. I hit the ground running, counting the rows intransition I headed for my shoes. The transition was even one of the fastest I’ve ever done at 38 seconds, I did feel in control with my shoes off and on the bike. I was very composed.
Running out of transition I could see the water station not able to drink while running I see it as a great opportunity to throw it over my head! Cool down a bit and I was away. Running round the lake was very scenic, and as before I was very focused on my own race and pushing forward with every step. At the half way point on the run I was feeling good, knowing that I was on the second half I upped the pace, but then I could hear someone coming behind me, it sounded like a train moving at speed. I kept pushing but didn’t seem to have any more speed in my legs. Past they came. Trying to hold onto her was a whole world of pain the way she moved was effortless. As much as I kept pushing we were with the last 1000m and I didn’t have the legs to get back up with her.


Still crossing the finish line I knew that I had given my all, and then it hit me as I tried to step forward the pain in my feet left me hobbling like as if I was trying to walk across hot coals.
I stayed and waited for everyone to finish, knowing that I had come 2nd female overall and 1st in my Age Group I felt that was a good result 10 days after worlds and with my crazy preparation. Although disappointed to have been caught so close to the end I knew that I would be able to learn from this race and move forward. Plus I had worked hard and given it my all!


Alice, Kirsty and Andy congratulations on qualifying for Geneva next year – I will see you there! Congratulations also to Lindsey for winning his age group and to Paul for taking a minute off your time in just 6 weeks, I shall keep my fingers crossed for you!
Competing here was good place to end my sprint triathlon season. I now need 2 hands to count the number of triathlons have done! And would never have imagined I could achieve so much in such a short space of time. I will still be racing at standard distance triathlon and a duathlon over the next few weeks before disappearing off into winter training, to become stronger, faster and fitter (plus learn to swim and run!!) ready for next year………

                            



No comments:

Post a Comment