Wednesday 17 September 2014

AGE GROUP WORLDS EDMONTON CANADA - 2014

So it’s Monday 25th August and having battled to work out the Rubik’s cube otherwise known as a bike box, I was now stood at in Gatwick waiting to travel to Edmonton Canada for the World Championships. I was finding it hard to believe that 12 months ago I was just going to the gym 4 times a week with the odd spin class and mainly looking forward to being able to eat cake as my reward! Even stranger to think that in 2007 I found out that I had a slip disc and was told that I would never compete in sport at a high level again. Yet looking at the sea of GBR tracksuits I found the excitement kick in knowing I had already proved everyone wrong.

Standing in Edmonton airport waiting for Carlos (my bike!) to be delivered I met Alice, the first of many new friends I would make throughout the week, all of whom would help make the next week the most amazing experience.

A first impression of Canada was just how big it was! Everything was huge, the roads, buildings, trucks… …. The people were all welcoming and friendly and whether near the hotel or moving around the city there was constant reminders of the Triathlon World Grand Finial…..This will be EPIC!




The days leading up were full of registration, recces and a lot of smoothies (they were huge yet so very tasty!!) Completing the recces were a strange feeling I had been at a big event before when rowing but never had to recce the course before. When rowing you only have to go backwards in a straight line so these things don’t matter! Saying that the bike recce filled me with confidence seeing the steep climb almost straight out of transition I could visualise myself pushing up there dropping the competition, couple that with a 2nd longer yet not as steep hill I knew the course would be good for me. I enjoy the challenge of sprinting up hills as fast as possible and knew the hours spent cycling up and down the hill behind where I live would pay off here. It was while on this recce I was reminded just how welcoming the local people were, with a women winding down her window as I reached the top of the hill I thought ‘here we go’ expecting similar comments to what I would get at home. Yet she leant out the window and wished us good luck –
Amazing!

The running recce didn’t go quite as well still confused as to where the course went, yet I view the run section as more like the rowing race, it will be 5k, full of signs so you know where to go and it’s all about pacing yourself to ensure you don’t blow up (run out of energy!) yet leave nothing behind. I wanted to get to the line knowing that I could not have given anymore.


As the day approached I felt ready to give it my all, the build-up had felt so much longer than normal and the nerves were really kicking in as I racked my bike, leaving Carlos on the rack for the night I knew that the next time I would be in transition I would only have a couple of hours left till the race,
I could not wait!!







Taking myself from transition to the swim familiarisation I was so excited, I didn’t want to waste any energy but did want to practice the start, having never done a dive before I was looking forward to the new challenge. Standing on the starting pontoon with all the numbers lined up I imagined myself as some sort of graceful dolphin diving in the fact was I was more like a whale, but watching Alice and Rosie I picked up a few tips, knowing that once in the water I would just give it my all any ways.

 I did go to the opening ceremony later that evening, although it was more of a case of photo bombing the other nations! Which started with wanting a photo with the inflatable kangaroo. Yet as time went on I was more interested in getting some food (good old Craft – they had some good business of us over the week!) and getting back to bed I wanted to ensure I was the best I could possibly be.


Race day came and as I got up to have my coffee and porridge Trains album played through my headphones. As I headed to the race
I was running through what I expected from my body that day. Not necessarily what I would do at what point on the course but more what I expected from my body and how I wanted to push myself throughout the race! The transition area was huge and I walked round it several times trying to familiarise myself with which row I would find my bike in – only to stand in the pen later on and have to ask Alice which row our bikes were in – Sorry Alice!!


The time between leaving transition and walking to the race went really fast mostly spent visualising the race and zoning myself out with my headphones in. The preparation had worked though, despite feeling like I was going to see my porridge again as I stood on the start line filled with nerves, I felt strong and knew that my body was ready to perform.

The swim went well, I’m not a natural swimmer apparently my swimming style is known as the swinger - Typical!! So the aim was to get into a rhythm as quick as possible and to get round in a good position ready to hit the bike. It later turned out that I came out the water 3rd! What a brilliant start I was aiming for between 10th and 20th knowing I could make time on the bike.


I ran straight to my bike in transition the yellow helmet really helping to spot my bike from a distance, put my shoes (I didn’t not have the confidence that I could get my shoes on fast enough if they were on the bike and didn’t want to lose the chance to attack the hill) running to the mount line I knew I was away. Lap one seemed to be over in no time but I was feeling really strong and with the nerves settled I was able to push forwards into lap two I was flying. The dismount was interesting though, I was neither elegant nor controlled as my shoes bounced along the road surface I could only have compared it to an elephant trying to do ballet in a china shop! But I could not dwell on this there was a run to do and I was very focused!

As I got into transition for the 2nd time I didn’t even notice that there was no other bikes back, nor that my handlebars had come loose while on the course and were pointing towards the floor! I knew I would be doing well of the bike – but winning?! I was able to settle into my run quite fast, it’s not my strong point but on this day I was in my own zone and just pushed forward with every step. It hurt and I knew I was pushing myself but I kept going picking of other runners in front of me one at a time. I was trying to work out if there was anyone in my age group around me but as I forgot my number I knew I just had to focus on me and run my own race. It worked coming across the line I had nothing left, struggling to walk with my leg shaking as I put weight on them I knew I had given my all, I was happy and filled with a massive sense of pride!

I know that to watch my race you would see many areas for improvement, but for me that was the best race I have done to date, I will take all the areas which were weaker and turn them into a strength for next year. I believe that no matter how many races I do or how much coaching I have there will always be areas for improvement and by working on these that’s how you become the best.

It was not till about half an hour later when the results were put up that I found out just how well I had done. As Jess came over telling me that I had a medal I found myself leaving a pile of clothes in the middle of the Age Group area and doing some form of jelly fish run over to the results board – I had a medal, me?! I know I had worked hard but 5months ago I had not even done a tri. It did not seem real; it’s the sort of thing you dream of. All of the pain disappeared and I was just filled with excitement.

Watching the rest of the races finish I felt a bit like a meerkat sat tall, massive grin and on the best high! I didn’t know what to do with myself. I felt like I just wanted to get up and dance but my head and body were not talking to each other as my legs were like led and struggled to walk up the steps into the grandstand!!



My friends were all amazing too, coming with some away with some brilliant results Alice, Rosie, Fiona, Dave, Lindsey, Paul, Hugh and Andy. I learnt so much from all of you while we were away and I’m sure it won’t stop there. They are all such incredible sportspeople.






The next few days were all about enjoying the atmosphere, and making the most of being out in such a brilliant country at an amazing event. I did celebrate with prosecco, chocolate and cupcakes which I feel were well deserved and I’m not sure I could have enjoyed it anymore! It was great to share the celebrations with my new friends; we had all achieved so much over that week and that could really be felt around the dinner table that night.

Following this we watched the elite women and men over the weekend they are amazing. All I need to do is learn to run like Gwen and I would be laughing! You can see that they are working hard, yet it all seems so effort less, the way they glide through the water, or fly through transition or make the hills on both the bike and run look like a flat. Watching from the grandstand I even got my best side on the TV would have done my hair though had I known!
 

The last part of the week was going to the closing ceremony and collecting my medal, waiting outside the hall where the closing ceremony was being held I was getting very excited. Walking in and seeing the podium for the first time the excitement hit an all-time high it was like being that child in the sweetshop working my way through the pick n mix again! The next half hour seemed like forever waiting to be called over for the presentation, I could only image that’s how a dog feels when you tell them to leave their favourite toy. Yet when the time came I was filled with a sense of pride and achievement, before we went onto the stage I was given a Mountie hat to wear – JUST BRILLIANT!!

As I stepped onto the podium in my GB polo I didn’t quite know what to do with myself hearing my name announced I could feel myself grinning from ear to ear, thinking at that very moment things could not get any better. But they did as they placed the medal round my neck and got my photo taken with a Mountie, that photo for me says it all! This is the photo which will drive me forward to make sure that next year I’m the one stood in the middle wearing the gold medal. Talking photos – a massive thank you to my camera man for the night Paul you defiantly got my best side!!!! I shall return the favour when you make the podium next year!





I’m now getting back to reality train, work, and study! My drive and determination to achieve is even greater than before, following what was the most incredible experience. I have made some great friends and enjoyed sharing this experience with some truly amazing likeminded people. I know that with the hard work and the right support I will be World Champion this time next year ……………… Onwards and upwards!!! .

No comments:

Post a Comment